While leaky faucets, clogged drains, or even corroded pipes can be falsely blamed for plumbing leaks, your plumbing issue may be an overlooked one. If you’ve check all of these things to no avail, a slab leak is the most likely culprit. So how do you fix it and how much can a slab leak repair cost? While hard to detect, slab leaks typically involve a water line that runs below your home’s concrete slab. But it can wreak havoc on your home and be quite expensive to repair.
HomeAdvisor calculated the average cost of slab leak repair in 2021 to be around $2,280. However, a leak in a difficult location can cost you $4,400 or more to fix. On the low end, expect to spend at least $630.
Breaking Down the Cost of Slab Leak Repair
Slab leak repair involves several steps. To help you understand what it can cost to address the root cause of issue, we will break down each aspect of the project here:
- Slab Leak Detection: The average cost of finding a leak is $280. Depending on where the leak is and how challenging it is to find, you could spend between $150 and $600 on detection alone. The work requires plumbers to look beneath the foundation of your home where the water lines run.
- Below-Slab Repairs: Depending on the severity of the leak, repairs can cost anywhere from $500 to $4,000 or more. The labor and materials needed to address leaks in difficult locations can increase the cost significantly.
- Hot-Water Line Repair: The average of $2,280 applies to fixing your hot water line under the slab. If the damage is easier to fix, you could spend just a few hundred dollars. More serious damage can exceed $4K to repair.
- Slab Leak Rerouting: If pipes are severely deteriorated, a plumber may choose to reroute the pipe. Attempting to repair such a pipe won’t make a difference anyway. For a shorter pipe, this can cost from $200 to $500; for longer pipes, you’ll likely spend at least $1,500 for rerouting.
- Minor Repairs: It generally costs from $150 to $350 to fix a burst pipe, not counting leak detection and foundation work fees. It costs on average $850 to repair a water main, but the price may range anywhere from $330 to up to $3,000.
- Slab Repair: When plumbers need to break through the foundation to access the leak, foundation repair is typically needed. This is a labor-intensive process that requires special materials. The costs are highly variable. If there’s a crack less than 1/8” wide and there’s no structural damage, the job may cost between $250 and $800. But most foundation repairs cost from $1,900 to $6,710 or more.
Do I Need a Professional for Slab Leak Repair?
Contact Your Local Slab Leak Repair Specialist
Elmer’s Home Services specializes in slab leak repair in the Austin and San Antonio area. We can perform interior and exterior slab leak repair and detection, preventing further damage and shifting of your foundation. To schedule service by our professional plumbing technicians, schedule an appointment online or call 210-333-5637 today.