An authentication error has occurred while trying to connect to the Minecraft servers. This may be due to an incorrect username or password, or the server may be down.
In this blog post, Dreamcheeky will walk you through many ways how to fix authentication errors in Minecraft. Let’s dive in.
- 1 What Does Fail To Authenticate Your Connection Mean On Minecraft?
- 2 Why Do I See The Failed To Authenticate Your Connection Error On Minecraft?
- 3 Solutions To Fix The Minecraft Failed To Authenticate Your Connection Error
- 3.1 Solution 1: Allow the Minecraft Traffic in the System’s Firewall
- 3.2 Solution 2: Close And Relaunch The Minecraft Launcher
- 3.3 Solution 3: Use Direct Connect
- 3.4 Solution 4: Logout and Log Back into the Minecraft Launcher
- 3.5 Solution 5: Rejoin the Hypixel Server
- 3.6 Solution 6 : Power Cycle the Internet Router
- 3.7 Solution 7: Edit the Hosts File
- 3.8 Solution 8: Reboot The Network Router
- 3.9 Solution 9: Kill The Minecraft Launcher Process
- 3.10 Solution 10: Download Minecraft Updates
- 3.11 Solution 11: Disconnect Hypixel Server
- 3.12 Solution 12: Add The Server Manually
- 3.13 Solution 13: Make Changes In The Hosts File
- 3.14 Solution 14: Flush The Network DNS
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
What Does Fail To Authenticate Your Connection Mean On Minecraft?
If you see Failed to authenticate connection while trying to connect to a Minecraft multiplayer server, it is likely that you are experiencing network or server problems.
It isn’t a major issue, and you can still enjoy your multiplayer gaming experience. This is a minor issue that can be overlooked and not something to worry about.
Why Do I See The Failed To Authenticate Your Connection Error On Minecraft?
These are the five components that could be responsible for Failing to authenticate your connection, which occurs when trying to connect to an online Minecraft multiplayer server.
Minecraft servers must be connected to an internet connection. LAN (Local Area Network) connections are the exception to this rule. To connect to the server IP address or the network, you will need to be online.
Even if your internet connection is working, you must ensure that you have access to the internet. The authentication problem can also be caused by slow networks.
Full RAM or almost full RAM can prevent your Minecraft world from loading properly. Many servers are designed to look very nice when you enter the welcome lobby or mini-game lobby.
This error can occur if your CPU memory is not occupied for running the game or connecting to a server. However, this error can only be encountered if the Minecraft Launcher launches the Minecraft game.
Out-Of-Date Java For Minecraft Version
It is essential that Java be installed in order to run Minecraft: Java Edition and use the in-game commands. Older versions of Minecraft may not work with the current version. It is best to use the most recent version of Java and Minecraft.
Before players can join the servers, they must be whitelisted. You may experience problems connecting to the server if you change your username. The server will detect a different username coming from the same IP address. Your username may take some time to be whitelisted.
If the problem is on Hypixel’s side or any other server, you will need to wait until moderators and developers resolve it.
Official social media forums will provide more information about the server’s status if it goes down temporarily. If you need more information, you can visit the Minecraft server’s site.
Check out our post if you want to get a cool Minecraft name: 750+ Cool Minecraft Names
Solutions To Fix The Minecraft Failed To Authenticate Your Connection Error
After experiencing an error message stating that your Minecraft: Java edition window has failed to authenticate your connection, the best way to get into Hypixel is to retry your login to the server. This works for any online multiplayer PvP server.
Solution 1: Allow the Minecraft Traffic in the System’s Firewall
If your Firewall is blocking access to an essential resource for the operation and functioning of the Minecraft launcher, the Hypixel failed to authenticate the connection issue.
We will demonstrate the Windows Defender Firewall process. You can also follow the instructions for your Firewall product.
Warning! You must be careful editing Firewall settings can be a difficult task that could expose your system/data.
- Quit the game (if necessary) and exit Minecraft Launcher. Make sure to close all Minecraft-related tasks in Task Manager.
- Click Windows and type Firewall.
- Next, click on Inbound Rules in the left pane and ensure that all rules for Minecraft/Java have been set to Allow the connection
- Click on New Rule in the left pane, and then select the Radio button for Program.
- Click Next, then click Browse.
- Navigate to the Minecraft installation directory.
- Next, open the folder containing the Java version number (the one with the JRE name), and then double-click the Bin folder. In some cases, it may be in the jrex64 folder.
- Double-click javaw.exe now and click the Next button.
- Next, select the radio button Allow the Connection to select all three profiles (e.g. Domain, Private, and Public).
- Name the rule according to your convenience, and then repeat the process for Java.exe in the Bin folder (step 7). Make sure you add rules to allow Java.exe if you have installed another Java installation.
- Next, repeat the process in the Outbound Rules tab to confirm that the Hypixel issue has been resolved.
If the problem persists, check whether the Firewall settings allow port 25565 (Action>> New Rule>> Port) to resolve the issue. If this does not work, check that the corporate Firewall is not blocking port 25565 access.
Solution 2: Close And Relaunch The Minecraft Launcher
Sometimes, the launcher may not normally start if it detects an issue. This can be caused by a bug in either the launcher or the game.
This is a common problem. To fix it, use the Alt + F4 keys to close the launcher or the button in the upper-right corner of your title bar. You can use the shortcut on your desktop or the Start menu to open the Minecraft Launcher once again.
You can also click the “Close” button if you see an error message with or without a specific error code. After the message has been removed, you can launch the game again. The loaded main menu should now be visible.
Solution 3: Use Direct Connect
Sometimes, you can connect directly to the server using multiplayer instead of connecting via the server list. This problem is most common with the “Hypixel” server so we will use direct connect to access it. This is how it works:
- Start the Minecraft Launcher to access the Server List screen.
- Click the “Direct Connection” option at the bottom of your screen.
- Enter “stuck.hypixel.net”, and click “Connect”.
- Wait for the connection time to establish and then check to confirm that the game is connected.
If this is the case, it means that the Minecraft launcher is having problems connecting to the server list.
You have two options: either reinstall the game or wait for the glitches to disappear and then use the direct connection feature until they do.
Solution 4: Logout and Log Back into the Minecraft Launcher
The ‘failed authentication’ error may occur due to a temporary glitch in your system or Minecraft servers. This is especially true if you have recently changed the name of your Minecraft user. It can be fixed by logging out/logging in to the Minecraft launcher.
- Quit Minecraft Launcher (if necessary) and close it (be sure to end all its related processes in Task Manager).
- Next, open the Minecraft Launcher and click on the name of the user (nearly the top right corner).
- Click Logout to close the launcher. Make sure that no related processes are running in Task Manager.
- Open the launcher once more and log in with your credentials to verify that the Hypixel issue has been resolved.
- If the problem persists, log out of your launcher (as described above) and open a web browser.
- Navigate to Mojang website and click Login.
- Next, click on the Forgot password link. In the next window, type your Mojang email address.
- Click on Request Password Reset, and follow the instructions to reset your password.
- To verify that the “failed to authenticate” issue has been resolved, open the Minecraft launcher.
Solution 5: Rejoin the Hypixel Server
The ‘failed authentication’ error may be caused by a temporary glitch between your Hypixel server and your system. If you restart the server, this glitch might be fixed.
- Stop the Minecraft Launcher. If applicable, Quit Game. Make sure you close all related processes in Task Manager.
- Open the Launcher, and choose Single Player.
- Next, play the single-player game for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then exit the world.
- Select Multiplayer now and click on Add Server.
- Enter the following information and click on Done: mc.hypixel.net
- Check that the launcher has not been affected by the authentication issue.
- If the problem persists, you can try the following steps (one at a time) in the Server Box to resolve the issue.
- hypixel.net stuck
8. If the connection is established, please try again using the “mc.hypixel.net” in the Server Address box.
9. If the problem persists, restart your system/internet equipment to resolve it.
Solution 6 : Power Cycle the Internet Router
You can also use power cycling to reboot the network. You can also try power cycling by following the steps below.
- Unplug router cable pin from the power socket in cable extension box.
- Nearly every modem has an on-back power button. For about 30 seconds, push it and hold it.
- Reconnect the plug and switch the power back on.
- After the connection has been established, log into Hypixel in the normal way.
Solution 7: Edit the Hosts File
If the Hosts block your system from accessing an important resource that is required for the operation and functioning of the Minecraft launcher, you may not be able to authenticate your connection. This usually happens when an application such as MCLeaks is installed.
PRO TIP: Restoro Repair can be used to repair your computer, laptop or notebook. It scans the repositories for corrupt files and will replace them. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. Download Restoro by clicking here
- First, uninstall the MCLeaks (or similar application) in Apps & Features and then perform a thorough system scan with antivirus/antimalware (like Malwarebytes) products.
- Click Windows and type Notepad. Then, right-click Notepad. Next, choose Run as administrator.
- Expand File, then click on Open.
- Navigate to the next path (copy-paste address)
- Next, change the document type from All Files to Hosts.
- Expand the Edit menu, and then select Find.
- Next, search for Mojang. Remove all entries that point to it.
- Save your changes, and then check to see if the “Hypixel failed authentication” issue has been resolved.
Solution 8: Reboot The Network Router
We could be looking at the internet or network-related issue that blocks the user access to an exciting, new part of the ultimate sandbox, so let’s try resetting the router.
This will allow you to create a new set of network configurations. These settings may be compatible with the Minecraft game and your computer to allow you to log on to a server.
- Push the reset button on the router’s back with a toothpick or another small object. Hold the button for approximately 20 seconds after you feel it being pushed.
- To complete the reset, release the button.
- The network may take some time to connect to the internet. You will need to wait. A power cycle may be able to fix a problem if a reboot fails.
Solution 9: Kill The Minecraft Launcher Process
We have a third solution. It is slightly more complex than the other two. Let’s try it.
- Start the Task Manager app (Ctrl+ Shift + Esc).
- You can locate any Mojang-related process by going to the Processes tab.
- Click on the Start Task button and select the process.
- Open the Minecraft launcher. You should be able to launch the game and it should start up without any problems.
Solution 10: Download Minecraft Updates
An older version of Minecraft can be used to play. This solution suggests that you update to fix the server login issue. You have two options to download the latest Minecraft version on your device.
When the Minecraft Launcher opens with an internet connection, any updates available for download will be immediately downloaded. You will see a dialog box with details about the update and when it will become available in your time zone. The download and installation process will end.
You can also uninstall the Minecraft Launcher manually and reinstall it. After this procedure, the downloaded game files will be available for you to use in the Minecraft Launcher. It may take some time for the files to download and allow you to run the game.
Note: To uninstall the game, you can use the Programs & Features page (Control Panel) or the Add or Delete Programs window.
Solution 11: Disconnect Hypixel Server
A simple solution to this problem is to disconnect from Minecraft and reconnect with it. Although this will restart the server, there is a chance that you won’t be spawned in your previous lobby. You can invite friends to play with you or ask them to invite your friend to their lobby.
Press the Esc key, then press the Disconnect button at the bottom. The server is online, so the game will continue around your character.
Many servers offer creative alternatives to the Disconnect button. If you want to disconnect from Manacube (join.manacube.com), you’ll need to click the See You Soon! Option.
Solution 12: Add The Server Manually
This isn’t a way to solve the problem, but it does allow you to access the Hypixel server. You can manually add a server to your saved Minecraft servers. This is how it works.
- Start the Minecraft game, and then go to the Multiplayer settings on the main page.
- Wait for all servers to load, if any.
- Click the Add server button.
- Type in the IP address and select the appropriate resource packs.
- After you are done, click the Add server button. This will add this server to your online Minecraft server list.
Check out how to fix error code drowned in Minecraft if you face this error.
Solution 13: Make Changes In The Hosts File
Servers cannot be accessed on your machine if the Minecraft host’s files are stolen by hack clients or third-party mod installations. To play on a server, you may need to reset them.
Remove the mod-installation or hacker client. The Add or Remove Programs page of Windows Settings will be helpful.
With elevated administrator privileges, open a NotePad page. Right-click the NotePad to open it and select Run as Administrator.
- Select File > Open in this window
- In the browsing window, go to this directory: C;WindowsSystem32driversetc.
- Set the document type as All Files, and then ‘Open’ the Hosts File.
- Locate the Find option in the Edit menu.
- This feature will locate all Mojang entries, and allow you to delete them.
- These changes can be saved and then restart your computer.
Solution 14: Flush The Network DNS
Domain Name System (DNS server address) plays an important role when connecting to servers and websites. To connect to the Minecraft servers, you can change the DNS server address.
There are many ways to change the DNS address of your network. Below is the easiest way to do it.
- Open your Control Panel.
- Select Network and Sharing Center under the Network and Internet category. The network adapter that connects to the internet is called an “Adapter”.
- On the left, you will see a few menus. From the drop-down menu, select the Change Adapter Setting option.
- Select Properties to select the network that provides internet service to the user’s computer.
- Choose Internet Protocol Version 4 from the drop-down menu.
- In the same window, click the Properties menu.
- You will see that the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties Window’s General tab allows you to modify the IP address or DNS servers. Type the DNS server address that you desire into the box at the Use the following DNS Server Address option.
- Click OK after entering your selected DNS server. Once you are done, click Close.
1. Why Does Minecraft Say Failed to Authenticate Your Connection?
You may get the “Failed to authenticate your connection” error when you try to join a Minecraft server. The error means that the user cannot connect to the server and play the game. This error is usually caused by a problem with the server or if there is an issue with the connection.
2. Why Can’t I Join A Minecraft Server?
You can disable any firewall program or change its configuration options. Restart your router/modem. Logging out of your account, then back in, can refresh your authentication and connection to our servers.
3. Can’t Connect To Any Minecraft Servers?
Here are some fixes to consider:
- Reboot the network.
- Log in again to your Minecraft account.
- Renew your IP by deleting your DNS
- Modify the DNS servers.
- Make sure to update your network driver.
- Close bandwidth-hogging programs.
- Turn off Windows Firewall
- Use a VPN.
Here we give you the guide that we are talking about above. It is very useful in some cases. When you have understood, Dreamcheeky hopes it will be easier for you to fix the authentication error Minecraft. If you still have any questions, you can ask me directly. If you like this post, share it with your friends. Thank you for taking the time to read!