Dream Cheeky will help you know How To Fix A Loose Outlet 2022: Should Read
How to Fix Loose Outlets
Loose electrical outlets are annoying and can also severely impact the safety of your home. Check out these tips to learn how to fix your loose outlets, and how to know when it’s time to call in a licensed electrician like Mr. Electric®. Keep your home safe. Do not ignore loose outlets!
If at any time you have questions or do not feel comfortable fixing the loose outlet on your own, contact Mr. Electric at (844) 866-1367 or by submitting a service request form.
How to fix your own loose outlet in three steps:
- Turn off the power – Make sure the power to the outlet is completely shut off on the main circuit panel. The only way to be completely sure the power to the loose outlet is off is by testing it with a voltage tester.
- Unscrew the faceplate and observe – When you unscrew the faceplate, you will be able to see if the faceplate was the unsecured part or if it was the plug. If you try to move the plug and it stays secure, simply screw the faceplate on tightly to stop it from moving.
- Check to see if the plugs are supported – If your issue is not the faceplate, check the screws holding the plug. If they are not screwed in all the way, make sure they are! If you notice the screws are tightened all the way but not supporting the plug, you will need to secure it by using outlet shims that can be found at your local hardware store.
After checking both the faceplate and plug support, you should no longer have a loose outlet. We recommend checking the outlets in your home regularly to make sure they are secured and to confirm your home is safe!
Is A Loose Outlet Dangerous?
Yes! One electrical spark can trigger disaster, so making sure you tighten the outlet immediately is very important.
What to Keep an Eye Out for When Checking Your Outlets
Most of the time, fixing a loose outlet is simple and straightforward, but if you find any of the issues below behind your outlet, you could have some larger problems and may want to call in a professional.
- Frayed wires – There are many reasons wires fray. Many times, the fraying comes from age or heat. If you find frayed wires behind a loose outlet, call Mr. Electric.
- Excessive heat or scorch marks – Any type of heat or visible scorch marks on your outlet are strong indications of unsafe wiring. A call to Mr. Electric will get to the root of the issue and keep your home safe.
- Broken outlet covers or switch plates – Replace all broken covers immediately. Replacement outlet covers are available at your local hardware store. To ensure safety, make sure the covers and wires inside are secure.
By simply checking or tightening your outlet screws and making sure there is nothing strange going on behind the faceplate, you are able to make sure your home is safe! If at any time you feel uncomfortable with checking or repairing the outlets on your own, contact Mr. Electric at (844) 866-1367 or by submitting an estimate request.
If you have experienced any smoke damage from your loose outlet, we recommend Rainbow International for home restoration services. Like Mr. Electric, Rainbow International is part of Neighborly’s community of home service professionals. You can count on them for a full range of restoration services, including smoke, fire and water damage restoration.