Dream Cheeky will help you know How To Fix High Latency 2022: Things To Know
What is Latency ?
First let’s take an eye over latency that what exactly it is, so latency is nothing just a value in terms of time which let us know about the total time interval in between whenever user have given an input to the system and when the output is received by the user.
Real Life Example :
- Let’s take an example whenever you watches a live cricket match in any of your device or television then it also have a latency of some seconds which can go up to 7 seconds and many more depending upon the location of user. That much latency occurs because that streamed data have to follow a proper traceroute to be successfully display at your screen. That particular data have to jump from server to server and then when it encounters your server it displays the match in front of you.
- Suppose there is task for CPU to read data from memory and let in one way it take 1 milli second extra so the total latency for CPU in retrieving that data from memory is 2 milli seconds and ping will be of 1 milli second. By the way some of you may have a confusion between ping and latency so don’t worry I’ll make it clear for you. Actually latency is the total time taken by the signal to return back to the user and the ping is nothing just a single way time taken for that signal.
What is the problem ?Internet speed somehow effects the latency but we can’t fully depend upon that because if you increases the speed of internet to its top than the latency can be reduced but even so it will take its time(in milli seconds) of travelling the traceroute that has to be followed for proper transmission of data from one place to other.
Now here comes the problems because of latency specially for gamers who live stream their games and while playing the games like PUBG/BGMI, actually the problems for gamers arises because suppose you are playing the game and you are shooting at your enemy according to the location your device have retrieved from the server of that game but because of the ping you will not get exact current location of your enemy because you are shooting at some previous location of your enemy, so this can create trouble for gamers also. But note that as I have previously mentioned that latency can’t be make fully 0 because it will take its proper time to follow the traceroute so it can be reduced/decreased to some extent.
Some common reasons of latency :
- Transmission Medium –The material/nature of the medium through which data or signal is to be transmitted effects the latency.
- Low Memory Space –The low memory space creates a problem for OS for maintaining the RAM needs.
- Propagation –The amount of time signals takes to transmit the data from one source to another.
- Multiple Routers –As I have discussed before that data travels a full traceroute means it travels from one router to other router that is increases the latency, etc.
Some methods to reduce latency are as follows :
- Increase Internet Speed & Bandwidth –To run the internet smoothly, you’ll need a network connection speed of at least 15mbps. Now, when it comes to bandwidth, if other members are playing online games, live streaming, or video calling, it will have an impact on your performance, so you’ll need a lot of it to handle everything.
- HTTP/2 –It reduces the amount of time it takes for a signal to travel between the receiver and the sender by reducing the signal’s path or route.
- CDN –If you use a CDN, it will cache all of the data or resources near the user from around the world, allowing signal to retrieve data from nearby resources rather than going to the origin.
- Be close to your router –Signals flow wirelessly from one router to the next, but they can be interrupted or resisted by objects such as walls, furniture, and so on. Place your system in an area of your home with good connectivity.
- Upgrade Broadband Package –Sometimes the broadband connection provider is a problem, so if you find a better deal than the one you’re currently using, switch.
- Restart Your Router –If your router has been on for a long time, restart it to refresh it and relieve the constant strain on it.
- Close Background Running Application –If you’re using Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hotstar, YouTube, or live streaming, turn them off because they significantly slow down your system’s ping rate.
- Play Games On Local Server –To ensure good connectivity, always try to play online world games on your local servers.
- Use Ethernet Cable –Using a wired connection for internet connectivity is always a good option, but you will be the only one who can use the internet; others will be unable to do so. Actually, it’s beneficial because the signals have access to your system’s exact clear path through wire, which means they don’t have to travel everywhere and encounter obstacles, reducing latency.
There are numerous other tricks and methods for reducing latency that you can find on YouTube and try at your own risk.