If you have an HP printer and you’re using Windows 10, you may have come across the “printer in error state” error message. This can be a frustrating error to encounter, but there are a few things you can do to try and fix it.
In this article, we’ll go over some of the potential causes of this error and some troubleshooting steps you can take to try and resolve HP Printer In Error State Windows 10.
- 1 Why Does My HP Printer Say Error?
- 2 How to Fix HP Printer is in Error State on Windows 11/10
- 2.1 Ensure the Printer Is Properly Connected to Your PC
- 2.2 Reboot the Printer
- 2.3 Verify the Paper and Cartridge Ink Levels
- 2.4 Reinstall the Printer Drivers
- 2.5 Automate the Print Spooler Service
- 2.6 Update Windows 10
- 2.7 Check whether the printer is online or offline
- 2.8 Check the status of Print Spooler Dependencies
- 2.9 Download the latest printer driver from the manufacturer’s website
- 2.10 Run Troubleshooter
- 2.11 Set the Print Spooler Service to Automatic Mode
- 2.12 Are There Sufficient Pages in HP Printer’s Input Tray?
- 3 Common Print Error You Can Face
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Why Does My HP Printer Say Error?
If your printer displays an error message that says “HP printer in an errors state”, it could be that your printer isn’t working as it should. This could be caused by outdated drivers. To make the printer work again, we introduce you to some effective ways to fix printers. Keep reading for more information.
How to Fix HP Printer is in Error State on Windows 11/10
Ensure the Printer Is Properly Connected to Your PC
Make sure your wired printer is correctly plugged into your computer. Make sure the cable is not damaged.
You must connect a wireless printer to a Wi-Fi network if you plan on using it. You should assign an IP address to your printer.
This will confirm that your printer is recognized by your computer.
Enter Control Panel into the Start menu search bar, and choose the best match.
Click View devices and printers in Control Panel.
Now you can see all the devices installed on your computer. Find your printer by clicking here.
The Status field for your printer should be set to Ready at the bottom of the bar. This indicates that your computer recognizes the printer and is able to communicate with it.
Reboot the Printer
A reboot can fix temporary problems with a device, which is also true for printers. It’s worth turning off the printer and turning it on again if your computer reports that your printer is experiencing an error.
This can be done on most printers by pressing the Power button. Wait for approximately 30 seconds, then press the Power button once more.
The error message should not be displayed on your computer any more
Verify the Paper and Cartridge Ink Levels
Your printer may be experiencing problems when your computer reports that it doesn’t have enough ink or the paper tray is empty.
Technically, it’s a problem with your printer, not your computer.
The first step is to load some printing paper into the tray of your printer. Turn on the printer, then check the ink levels. Replace the cartridges if they are at the low end.
Reinstall the Printer Drivers
The drivers for your printer connect it to your computer. These drivers can be corrupted or out of date. Reinstall them to see if it fixes the problem.
It’s easy to install, remove, or reinstall drivers in Windows 10. Here’s how:
- Disconnect the printer cable from your computer.
- Start Control Panel on your computer.
- Click on the Hardware and Sound option to view devices and printers.
- Locate your printer in the Devices List.
- Right-click on your printer and choose Remove device.
- The prompt will ask you if the printer is really yours. To continue, select Yes.
- The printer should be connected to your computer and the driver software will automatically be installed by your PC.
If drivers are not automatically installed, go to the manufacturer’s website and download the drivers manually.
Automate the Print Spooler Service
To see if the printer in error state is fixed on your computer, it’s worth turning the printer spooler to automatic mode.
- To open the Run dialog press Windows Key + R, and type services. msc and hit Enter.
- Locate the Print Spooler service from the list. Right-click it and choose Properties.
- Select Automatic from the dropdown menu beside Startup type.
- Next, click Apply and then OK at the bottom.
- Reboot your computer.
Update Windows 10
It is important to keep your Windows 10 computer up to date. An older version of Windows 10 can lead to many problems, including the “printer error state” message.
It is easy to update Windows 10: Follow these steps.
- To open the Settings app, press Windows Key + I
- On the Settings screen, click Update & Security.
- Click Windows Update in the sidebar to the left.
- Click on Check for Updates to the Right.
- Install all the latest updates.
Check whether the printer is online or offline
Sometimes the issue “Printer error state” can occur when the printer is offline. Follow these steps to determine if your printer is offline or online.
- Launch Control Panel
- Click on Devices and Printers to check if your printer shows Ready or Offline. If your printer displays Ready, it means that it is online.
- If your printer is not online, right-click it and choose the “Use Printer Online” option.
- The display message should then change from Offline to Ready.
Check the status of Print Spooler Dependencies
This error may occur if Print Spooler Dependencies is not running on your computer.
Follow these steps:
- Click OK to launch the Run dialog box. Type services.msc into the search box. This will launch the Services application.
- Scroll down in the Services app to find the Print Spooler.
- Right-click Print Spooler to select Properties
- Click on the Dependencies tab. You will find a list of all the services. You can expand the services and take note of them.
- You should check the status of any Dependent services you have identified. These services should all be in operation.
Try the next solution if the error persists.
Download the latest printer driver from the manufacturer’s website
If none of these methods work, your printer driver may be the problem. If this happens, you can download the most recent printer driver from the manufacturer’s site and then install it. First, uninstall any printer drivers you may have.
If your HP printer is not working properly, you should always run troubleshoot. To troubleshoot your HP printer, follow these steps:
- You must ensure that the printer is turned ON and that all cables are connected properly to the computer.
- Click on Start and type “Troubleshoot” in the search box.
- Click “Troubleshooting” from the list of choices. Click View all to open a new window. Scroll down to the Printer option.
- Click on the Advanced option in the new window to troubleshoot your printer.
- To troubleshoot your printer, click on Run as administrator. The Next button will then be activated. This will detect any problems and help you to fix them.
- If the troubleshooter is unable to find the problem, your printer may need to update its drivers. For more information, see the next solution.
Set the Print Spooler Service to Automatic Mode
The HP printers stop working because Print Spooler stops often. This is the reason your HP printer displays an error state. You should change the status of your printer’s Spooler Service to Automatic in such instances.
Print Spooler is a software program that manages all print jobs that are assigned to the printer. Any user can delete or manage printing jobs that are still being printed.
You can fix the HP printer error state problem by setting the Print Spooler service in an automatic mode. Follow these steps:
- Start the Run application by pressing both the Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- Click OK and type “service.msc” in the search box.
- To go to Properties, right-click on the “Print Spooler” option in a new window.
- A new window will open. Choose Automatic Start Type or Running Service Status.
- To save your changes, click on the Start button.
- Restart the system to verify that the problem is fixed.
You can try the following methods to fix the HP printer error state issue.
Are There Sufficient Pages in HP Printer’s Input Tray?
We noticed a common problem with all our users: they don’t load enough sheets into the input tray. The HP printer’s control panel displays an error message. The input tray should contain at least 25 sheets.
After the sheets have been loaded, turn on your printer. Before you start printing, wait for the printer to be idle. To test your printer, you can now check if it’s working properly. You can try the following solution if it is not working.
Common Print Error You Can Face
There are many common print errors that you can face when printing documents. Some of the most common errors include: missing fonts, incorrect page margins, and poor print quality. These errors can often be fixed by simply changing your printer settings or downloading the correct fonts. However, if you are facing more serious print errors, You can check out below:
- How to fix Printer Error 0x00003e3
- How to Fix Printer Error 0x00000709
- How To Fix Windows 10 Print Error 0x0000011b
1. How do I get my HP printer out of the error state?
Open Windows and search for Devices and Printers. Look for your HP Printer in the Devices and Printers window. Right-click on the device to delete or remove it.
2. Why is the HP printer offline on Windows 10?
Make sure that the printer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer. The built-in menu of your printer should indicate which network it is connected to. You can also check the manual of your printer for further information. Verify that the printer is not set to Use Printer Offline.
3. How do I get my HP printer to go back online?
Turn the printer on again by connecting the power cord to it. The power cord should be disconnected from the wireless router. Wait 10 seconds before reconnecting it. Your internet may take some time to reconnect.
Above are our guide on how to fix hp printer errors. Dreamcheeky hopes that it will work on your printer. If you have any questions or ideas to fix this problem, don’t hesitate to leave your comments below. We’re glad to hear from you. Thank you for reading.