Dream Cheeky will help you know How To Fix P0128 Code 2022: Must Read
Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
What does that mean?
This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that it applies to OBD-II equipped vehicles. Brands of vehicles that may see this code include but are not limited to Pontiac, Toyota, Mazda, Dodge, Chevrolet, Honda, Jeep, Ford, VW, etc. Although generic, the specific repair steps may vary depending on make/model.
This means that the engine’s powertrain control module (PCM) has detected that the engine has not reached the required temperature level within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. Often, the intent of the P0128 code is to indicate a faulty thermostat (likely stuck in the open condition). Similar codes: P0125
In determining that the engine did not reach a “normal” temperature, it takes into account the length of time the vehicle has been running, the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor reading, the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor reading, and the speed of the vehicle.
You will likely not notice any drivability problems other than the MIL illumination. In some cases you may experience symptoms such as:
- Engine takes longer to warm up
- Engine temperature drops while driving at higher speeds
A photo of a typical thermostat:
A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Low engine coolant level
- Leaking or stuck open thermostat (likely)
- Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
- Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
- Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Note: Please be sure the engine is turned off and cool when doing work on the cooling system. When the engine is warm, the cooling system is pressurized and very hot and can cause burns or other personal injuries if you are not careful.
Past experience indicates that the most likely solution for a P0128 is to replace the thermostat. However here are some suggestions on troubleshooting and repairing a P0128 OBD-II code:
- Verify coolant strength & level
- Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it’s running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
- Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
- Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
- If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat
- If Nissan vehicle, check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), as the ECM may need to be reprogrammed to correct the P0128 code
Regardless of what vehicle year, make and model, it is advisable to check for TSBs because if there is a known fix set out by the automaker, it can save you time and money in the diagnosis and repair.
An example of the importance of checking for TSBs or technical service bulletins, is if you have a Honda Accord, bulletin #01-164 may apply to you. TSBs are also called manufacturer communications.
Other ECT engine coolant sensor and circuit related DTCs include but are not limited to: P0115, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0119, P011A, P011B, P0125, and P0126.
p0128 Diagnosis & Repair Video
We found this helpful video regarding diagnosis of the p0128 code. We are not affiliated with the producer of this video, it is here as a convenience to our visitors:
Related DTC Discussions
- codes P013A and P0128 2007 Jeep Commander 5.7 HemiMy Jeep is throwing those codes, but only in cold weather. After the fist time the Check Engine light came on I had the coolant checked when I had an oil change. It was slightly low and the technician replaced the radiator cap and reset the codes. A few days later the check engine light came on. I c…
- 2006 Dodge Stratus. 2.4 code P0128The code P0128 came up so I changed the thermostat, housing and coolant temperature sensor. The same code came up and my car cut off while driving. What other reason could be my troubles?…
- 2005 Chevy Optra Trouble codes P0128 and P0420Good day Guys, My Optra has these trouble codes which I’m trying to fix myself and I need your help 😳 I searched in youtube DIY’s for reasons and possible solutions to this. I first tried the Dura Lube severe catalytic and exhaust treatment, change my gas from 87 to 91 octane then run the car…
- ’02 Volvo V70 2.4 NonTurbo 75k miles P0128 coolant temp….Check engine light is on. Comes up with a PO128. -Engine revving at stop lights and stalling on occasion when I’m at a low speed. -Noticed the other day that the fan isn’t coming on at all. Replaced the thermostat and replacing the sensor tonight. Do anyone feel the revving has anything to do…
- Engine codes P0300 P0128 P0449 P0601 on 2006 Chevy Trailblazeron my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer i have multiple engine codes after replacing the alternator. codes are P-0030, P-0128, P-0135, P-0449, and P-0601. it has a 4.3 l v-6. could there be a common problem for all of these codes? i also replaced the battery if that helps…thanks in advance. Doug….
- P0410 and P0128 codes 2005 chevy trailblazer LSMy 2005 Chevy Trailblazer is running rough when it is cold and put in drive. It runs fine when in Park and Reverse and Neutral but when in Drive it is loud and has a vibrating sound. My check engine light is also on and when checked with the code reader, the 2 codes that came up were P0128 and P04…
- P0128 Coolant Temperature Is Below Specs.Hello, I pulled a P0128 and after following the proper guidelines I know have to replace a cooling fan and relay on a 2001 Chevy Impala. What is the difficulty level and are there any tricks I should be aware of before I start. Thanks for the hand. torc72…
- 2001 BMW trouble codes P0128Hi, i have a 2001 BMW 325CI 2.5 liter engine, the P0128 came on a few days ago and i reset the code, and it came on again today. The water temputer gauge is at normal half way mark in the center of the gauge. I check the fan blade, and it is turnning. Can anyone help me with this problem, and what …
- 07 duramax codes p0087, p0128, p0672, p0673, p0676, p067107 duramax cab & chassis, throwing codes; po087,po128, po672,po673,po676,po671…the main concern is the po087 code.trouble diagnosing the problem. w/o scan tool narrowed down to cp3 fuel pump/ or small outside chance of the rail pressure sensor faulty.truck has 135,200miles…
- p0128 code on a 2004 silveradoI have a 2004 silverado with a p0128 trouble code.I have replaced the thermostat and still recieve the code but it only does it on cold mornings.It also seems to take the engine a little longer to warm up on mornings where it is 40 degrees or lower.Is there a regulator or something that could be cau…
Need more help with a p0128 code?
If you still need help regarding the P0128 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected.