Dream Cheeky will help you know How To Fix A Shower That Won’T Drain 2022: Should Read
Contact Our North Carolina Plumbers
You’re taking a shower, and the water is collecting at your feet, with no sign of going down the drain. You’ve just taken a bath and pull the plug to drain the water, but nothing happens. If you’re experiencing problems with your bathtub or shower not draining right—or not draining at all—there’s a reason.
Your bathtub or shower might not be draining because:
- There’s a problem with the built-in stopper.
- There’s a clog in the bathtub or shower drain.
- There’s an issue farther down the line.
If you’re experiencing problems with your tub or shower, you can find professional, friendly help from the Durham plumbers at JD Service Now. Give us a call at (919) 626-3626 for emergency or routine plumbing and HVAC services!
Three Reasons Your Tub or Shower Isn’t Draining
Any plumbing problem should be looked at as soon as possible. Standing water can pose health hazards like attracting insects or growing mold, and a seemingly minor problem could be an indication of a serious leak or another issue.
With that in mind, here are the top three reasons showers and bathtubs don’t drain properly:
- There’s a problem with the built-in stopper. If your bathtub or shower/tub combo has a built-in stopper, the stopper itself may be the problem. It can become worn and damaged over time, or there could be hair or other materials stuck in it. You can pull the stopper out and check it to see if it’s damaged or clogged.
- There’s a clog in the bathtub or shower drain. Hair and soap or shaving gel can combine and solidify in a drain, and objects like bottle caps, razor shields, or even small toys can be washed down the drain. Depending on the type of clog, it may be cleared out with plunging, a plumbing snake, or another method.
- There’s an issue farther down the line. If you have a drain that’s clogging again and again, or if you can’t unclog your drain with traditional methods, you might have a problem further down the line. A damaged, leaking, or broken pipe could be to blame. With these types of problems, you’ll need a professional plumber to perform a thorough inspection.
DIY Tips to Unclog Your Bathtub Drain
Interested in handling a clogged drain on your own? You may be able to handle a simple clog without professional help. If you want to involve a plumber from the get-go or get started and can’t unclog the drain, JD Service Now is here to help.
Here are the ways you can try to unclog a bathtub or shower drain on your own:
- Put on gloves and remove any visible blockage (hair, etc.) that you see on the outside of the drain.
- Plunge the bathtub or shower drain with a plunger. You’ll have to remove the overflow cover in your tub and stuff a towel into the hole to make sure no air can escape while you’re plunging.
- Use a plumbing snake to try to dislodge whatever is in your drain. You can purchase a plumbing snake at your local home improvement store, but this can be tricky if you don’t know how to use this type of equipment. This may be a time to involve a professional.
- Try dissolving clogs without hazardous chemicals. Baking soda, vinegar, and hot water can be used to unclog some drains.
Learn more about these methods by reading our blog on unclogging bathtub drains.
I’ve Tried Everything. What Now?
If you tried everything you could on your own, it’s time to call in a professional. Bathtub and shower drain issues, like other plumbing problems, might be easy fixes or might require tools and expertise that the average homeowner simply does not have.
At JD Service Now, we’re committed to providing the high-quality, reliable service that helps homeowners throughout Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, Apex, and the surrounding areas of North Carolina get the most out of their properties—living in comfort and safety with the knowledge that their repairs are done right the first time.
If you’re located in North Carolina, schedule an appointment to have your shower or bathtub drain inspected and fixed, call (919) 626-3626 or contact us online. We look forward to seeing how we can help you!