- Dream Cheeky
Pros And Cons Of Using GoPro As A Webcam
- Higher image quality. It’s not unreasonable to claim that the GoPro has a superior image sensor than a standard webcam. While GoPro transmits video via HDMI at 1080p, which is the same as most webcams’, the quality of the footage will be better. GoPro is known for capturing daylight well; webcams are not.
- You don’t need to purchase a webcam. This one seems obvious.
- The dongle is more expensive than premium webcams. You can purchase the Logitech C922 for less than the dongle cost. Does the image quality not disappoint? No.
- Setup. The GoPro setup can be more complex than a simple plug-and-play webcam.
Gear List For GoPro Webcam Setup
- HDMI Cable: This HDMI cable is not just for HDMI cables. You will need an HDMI to Micro HDMI cable. This one. This will link your camera to the Cam Link dongle. (See next item).
- Elgato Cam Link4K: This small USB dongle connects your GoPro (and most DSLR and camcorders) to your computer or MAC.
- GoPro Cameras: The Hero4 (Black, Silver, or Gold) and the Hero7 Black. This system will only work if your GoPro has a micro HDMI port.
- Small Tripod: You can use any tripod, but it will need to be supported and raised. If it isn’t supported, your camera will be sitting at an awkward angle on your desk. It will also wobble due to the cables that feed into it. The GoPro Shorty tripod is best for a GoPro webcam. It measures almost 9 inches high. This is our guide to the top tripods.
- USB Cable: This cable is used to power the camera. Your battery may not last for an hour, which is probably unacceptable for webcam setups. You probably have one. It’s the same cable you use to upload your image and recharge the battery. More information about GoPro battery life.
Please note that the Hero8 Black does not have an HDMI output port. You will need the Media Mod to use the above system.
Software for GoPro Streaming
It’s not difficult to get your GoPro to work with your computer. These are the two GoPro Webcam software you will need.
- Streamlabs OSB: This free and open-source software lets you connect your camera with your computer. Get OBS here.
- Elgato Cam Link – Your computer will likely automatically identify the new piece and install the necessary hardware to make it work. You can download it here if you don’t have it.
How To Use GoPro As Webcam in Hero 8, 9
Step 1: Buy the Gear
- HERO9 Black or HERO8 White
- A USB-C cable (the one you received with your GoPro for example)
- Your computer
- We now move on to Step 2 with a GoPro mounting option.
Step 2: Establish the Streaming Tools
Your GoPro can be used as a webcam in any video conferencing software that allows you to select the camera from which you want to stream. This applies to Webex, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams as well as Skype, Google Meetings, OBS, Wirecast, and Skype.
Step 3: Set Up Your GoPro as a Webcam
- Turn GoPro camera icon on
- Scroll down and choose ” Preferences”.
- Scroll down to select ” Output/Input”
- Select “HDMI Output” and change to ” live”
- Mount your GoPro (see the list above for suggested mounts).
- GoPro side door open and micro-HDMI in the port
- Connect HDMI side to the video capture device
- Connect an HDMI-to USB converter to your computer and place it in
- Connect GoPro with a power source
Option 1: Setup video conference software
- Skype: Navigate To Settings > Audio + Vid > Camera
- Webex: Click drop down to select your camera
- Zoom: Click the arrow next Start/Stop Video > Video Setting > Change your camera
You can choose from multiple cameras in the Zoom Room by tapping “Switch Camera” to select it from a list.
Option 2: Setup OBS, or something similar
- Follow the steps to add a video source to Open Streamlabs OBS.
- OBS is as easy as clicking the “+” button in the video source menu
- Choose a Video Capture Device
- Name your source video “New”
- Choose your hardware from the dropdown menu (e.g. Cam Link 4k), then click “OK”.
Now, the GoPro-turned webcam will be visible on the display
PROTIP: GoPro streams at up to 1080p 60fps using an HDMI output. However, most streaming services limit their bandwidth to 1080p30. To ensure a high-quality stream and crisp streaming, you need good lighting.
Step 3: Install the GoPro Webcam Desktop utility and launch it
- Get the GoPro Webcam utility program for your computer from this link.
- In your status bar, a GoPro icon will now be displayed
Step 4: Connect your GoPro
- The USB-C cable connects your GoPro camera to your computer.
- Once HERO8 Black has been connected and powered on, the GoPro icon will display a blue dot. At that point, it will default back to Webcam Mode.
PRO TIP: Your GoPro can be connected to a USB port that produces >500mA of current. This will allow the computer to power the camera functionality without requiring a battery.
Step 5: Select GoPro camera as your preferred camera to go live
Click the GoPro icon to preview your GoPro webcam. Select “Show Preview” from the drop-down menu.
You can choose “Mirror”, or “Flip” the view. Everything will be clear as the default GoPro Webcam app is at 1080p30. However, you have the option of switching to 720p30.
You can also change the digital lens to select a narrow, wide, or linear field of view.
- Once you have connected and the blue dot appears on your GoPro icon navigate to your chosen video conferencing platform, and choose GoPro as your preferred camera.
- You can join the call, and the GoPro icon’s red dot will appear once you are live.
How To Use An Older GoPro As A Webcam
To connect your Hero 4, 5, 6, and 7 GoPro models, you will need the Micro-HDMI output. You will need a Micro-HDMI to-HDMI cable and an HDMI-to USB video converter. You should look for one that streams at least 1080p video at 60 frames/second (fps). A separate power source should be connected to your GoPro.
Step 1: Turn on your GoPro. Select Preferences > Output > HDMI Output. Turn on HDMI Output.
Step 2: Connect your GoPro camera to the converter and then connect the converter to your computer. Although the adapter should be functional immediately, you might want to adjust the video settings using any software included.
Step 3: Choose your GoPro camera option in your webcam software. The converter that you are using may be displayed instead. You can also choose that to connect your GoPro.
Is It Possible To Live Stream Youtube Videos Using My Gopro As Webcam?
You can stream live to YouTube or other sites using the GoPro app. Go to Camera > Control your GoPro > Live > Set up Live > YouTube > Open the GoPro App. Before you click Go Live, connect your YouTube account and network.
Why Won’t My Computer Recognize My Gopro As A Webcam?
Use a high-quality USB cable that is inserted into the USB port of your computer. It is better to use a USB 3.0 cable. You must insert a fully charged battery into your camera if you are using a cable other than a USB 3.0.
Can I Stream GoPro 4K Via HDMI?
No. GoPro currently streams 1080p at 60 frames per second via HDMI.
Your GoPro webcam is now comparable to a standard webcam in terms of resolution. This is likely to change shortly. GoPro is expected to improve the resolution settings available via the micro HDMI cable.
Image quality goes beyond resolution. You’ll be able to tell the difference between a standard webcam model and a newer GoPro model.
What GoPro Camera Is Best For Webcam Use?
Any model with a micro HDMI output. These models include the Hero Black models numbered from Hero4 Black to Hero7 Black.
- Hero4 Black
- Hero5 Black
- Hero6 Black
- Hero7 Black
- Hero8 Black: Please be aware that the Hero8 Black is not equipped with a micro HDMI output. You will need the Media Mod to perform this function.
How do you feel about the guide overall? Did it help you with your GoPro? DreamCheeky hopes you found this article useful and would love to hear from you in the comments section below.