Error 0x00000709 is a printer error that can occur when trying to print a document. This error can be caused by a number of factors, including outdated printer drivers, incorrect printer settings, or a problem with the printer itself. There are a few simple steps that can be taken to fix this error and get your printer up and running again.
- 1 What Causes Error 0X00000709 in Printers?
- 2 How to Fix Error 0x00000709
- 2.1 Fix Registry Glitches Automatically
- 2.2 Modify Your Registry Key
- 2.3 Reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks
- 2.4 Edit the Spooler Service Properties and Start its Dependencies
- 2.5 Remove Conflicting Applications
- 2.6 Edit the Printer Properties
- 2.7 Uninstall KB5006670 & KB5007186 updates.
- 2.8 Fix error 0x00000709 in Network Printing by Overriding Printer Installation Restrictions.
- 2.9 Run Printer Troubleshooter
- 2.10 Update the Printer Drivers
- 3 Conclusion
What Causes Error 0X00000709 in Printers?
The reason for the 0X00000709 error message lies mainly in printer permissions. Windows will display this error message instead of the printer doesn’t have enough permissions to connect.
Other causes include corrupt Network clients or bad services that can slow down the connection process. It is possible that conflicting programs are preventing the printer from running successfully.
How to Fix Error 0x00000709
Fix Registry Glitches Automatically
Faulty Windows Registry settings are often the cause of Error 0x00000709. Run a system scan with Restoro to determine if this is the problem.
Restoro, a Windows repair tool, can scan your system, identify any faulty files and automatically repair them. You can get new system components in just one click. This means you don’t need to reinstall Windows or any of your programs. Also, you won’t lose any data or settings.
In just one click, Restoro can check for any broken components of your system.
- Download Restoro and install it
- Open Restoro to run a free scan. The full scan can take up to five minutes.
- After the scan is complete, you can view a summary of all issues. To begin the repair process, click on START REPAIR. You will need the complete version, which comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Modify Your Registry Key
Important: If you modify the registry on your computer incorrectly, it could lead to irrecoverable errors. Therefore, it is important that you back up your registry before making any modifications.
Note: These screenshots were taken on Windows 7. However, the fixes can be applied to Windows 10 or Windows 8.
- Click on the Start button. Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Please choose Yes if User Account Control appears.
- Follow the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows.
- Double-click Device. Enter your printer name. (The screenshot is an example.)
- To save the changes, click OK
Note: If you get this error: “Cannot Edit Device: Error Writing the Value’s New Contents“, please follow these steps to grant the key permission.
- Click the Windows key on left side panel, and then click Permissions
- Check the box Allow Full Control and Read. Click Apply to save the changes.
- Right-click on UserSelectDefault, and click Rename.
Reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks
If the Client for Microsoft Networks was not installed correctly, the network printer might display Error 709. Reinstalling Client for Microsoft Networks, in this case, may resolve the problem. Before you proceed, ensure Network Discovery is turned on and Password Protected sharing disabled.
- Right-click Windows to open Network Connections
- Select Change Adapter Options. Right-click on the network adapter and choose Properties.
- Next, uncheck the box Client for Microsoft Networks. Then press Apply to save your changes.
- Reboot your computer completely.
- After rebooting, go back to the settings and enable the option ‘Client For Microsoft Networks. This will allow you to reinstall the client from scratch on your system. Check if the problem is solved.
Edit the Spooler Service Properties and Start its Dependencies
If the Print Spooler Service has an error or one of its dependencies is down, the Error code 0x00000709 could appear. This situation may be solved by editing the properties of the spooler service or restarting its dependencies.
- Right-click on Windows and type Services. Next, select Run as administrator.
- Double-click the Print Spooler button and go to the Dependencies tab.
- Next, make sure that the services are up and running, e.g., Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
- After services in Dependencies have been started, restart Print Spooler and verify that the printer is free from the error 0x00000709.
If this does not work, try setting the Startup Type of Print Spooler Service to Delayed Start (or Manual) to resolve the printer problem.
Remove Conflicting Applications
If you have any applications that interfere with printer operation, the network printer error 709 may occur. You can resolve the problem by removing these applications (such as CutePDF Writer). Before you proceed, ensure that the 32-bit host computer has the appropriate drivers for 64-bit clients.
- Right-click Windows to select Apps and Features
- Expand the application that is causing problems (such as CutePDF), then click Uninstall.
- Next, confirm that you have uninstalled the application. Finally, reboot your computer.
- After rebooting, verify that the network printer is working properly.
The following applications were reported by users to create the problem:
- Driver for the Thermal Printer (similar to Star Micronics).
Also, you might check to see if the 32-bit Equitrac application has been installed on the 64-bit machine. If so, then try installing the 64bit version.
Edit the Printer Properties
If the printer or user does not have the necessary security permissions, your network printer could fail to connect to Windows’ security checks. This can be solved by giving the printer or user the necessary permissions.
- Click Windows and type Printers.
- Expand the printer you are having trouble with and click on Manage.
- Next, open Print Properties. Then go to Security.
- Give all permissions to each user one at a time by clicking on the appropriate box in the Allow column.
- Reboot your computer and verify that error 709 has been resolved.
Uninstall KB5006670 & KB5007186 updates.
If KB5006670 and KB5007186 have been installed, the first step to solve printing or network printer installation issues is to delete them. This is how to do it:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run utility.
- To open the Command Prompt, type cmd and hit the keys Ctrl+Shift+Enter. *
- Please Note: Click Yes if you see any windows asking for permission.
- Enter the following command, and hit the Enter key:
- Click on Yes once the Confirmation dialog box appears.
- After the installation is complete, you can restart your computer.
- Now, print or install your default printer. This should complete the printer installation. If the problem persists, you can continue to uninstall the
- KB5007186 upgrade by entering this command in the admin prompt: *
Note: If you are able to install the default printer without errors, I recommend that you do the following:
- Download the Show or Hide updates tool tool from: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html
- Run the “wushowhide.diagcab”, click Next and then click Hide Updates.
- Click Next to select the 2021-10 Cumulative Windows 10 Update (KB5006670).
Fix error 0x00000709 in Network Printing by Overriding Printer Installation Restrictions.
Windows 10th of August 2021 and subsequent updates will require administrative privileges to install drivers. This will allow users to install network printer driver drivers.
- As Administrator, open the Command prompt
- At the command prompt, enter the following command
reg add “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint” /v RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
- Restart your computer and install the network printer.
- To ensure that only administrators are able to install printer drivers, open the command prompt as administrator after installation.
reg add “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint” /v RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
Run Printer Troubleshooter
First, run the Printer Troubleshooter.
To open the Run dialog box, click on Windows Key + R. Type the following command, then hit Enter.
msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic
Follow these instructions to fix your printer, so it runs smoothly.
Update the Printer Drivers
It is important to update your printer drivers. Find the USB Composite Device option, click it and then choose Update Driver from the menu. Restart your computer. You can click on Search automatically to find updated driver software.
You can read more common errors like How To Fix HP Printer In Error State Windows 10 to learn more useful information.
Error 0x00000709 is a Windows error that can occur when trying to install a printer. This error can be caused by a number of factors, including incorrect printer drivers, incorrect printer settings, or a corrupted printer driver. Hope that this article can help you deal with this problem. Thank you for reading.